The Isle of Walney Estates Company Limited was set up in the late 1890s to provide housing for the increasing number of workmen required by the Vickers Sons and Maxim. Latona Street was the first street to be completed in December 1900. Nine hundred houses, a bowling green, Institute and Reading Room, James Dunn Park, Public Hall, fire station, shops, hotels and farm were all included in the design. The architect was W Moss Settle and the builders included William Gradwell, Rainey Brothers, Walton, Lee and Company and James Cox of Barrow. Rents varied from 5 shillings a week to
13 shillings. A literary society, orchestral society and ambulance classes all used the Public Hall. The farm supplied milk, butter, cream, eggs and vegetables.
Until the opening of Walney Bridge in 1908, the ferry was the main method of
transport to and from the island. Until 1935, a toll had to be paid to cross the
This article is based on an exhibition created by Cumbria Archive and Local Studies Centre, Barrow-in-Furness.